Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 05:05:35PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, I have thought about this.  First, a possible solution would be to
> have a GUC variable that prepends the dbname to all username
> specifications, so the username becomes dbname.username.  When you
> CREATE USER "test", it actually does CREATE USER "dbname.test".  Same
> with ALTER/DROP user and lookups in pg_hba.conf and authentication.
> Basically it gives us a per-db user namespace.  Only the superuser has a
> non-db qualified name.

What about the following situation:
   - 3 databases: 'devel', 'staging', and 'production'
   - one user, 'httpd', which needs access to all 3 databases but     doesn't own any of them
   - I create the 'httpd' user when I'm connected to, say, template1
   - I issue a command that changes the httpd user in some way (e.g.   drops the user, alters the user, etc.) -- what
happens?

Also, what happens if I enable the GUC var, create a bunch of different
users/databases, and then disable it again?

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>