Re: Password sub-process ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Subject Re: Password sub-process ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:55:55AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I think that is the problem with everyone's "thinking" ... they are only
> dealing with 'small servers', where it only has a couple of databases ...
> I'm currently running a server with >100 domains on it, each one with *at
> least* one database ... each one of those domains, in reality, *could*
> have a user 'bruce' ...

First off, I think the implementation of this functionality present in 7.2
was a big hack, and I'd rather not see it resurrected.

However, it would be useful to be able to do something like this -- how
about something like the following:
   - the auth system contains a list of 'auth domains' -- an identifier     similar to a schema name
   - the combination of (domain, username) must be unique -- i.e. a     username is unique within a domain
   - each database exists within a single domain; a domain can have 0,     1, or many databases
   - by default, the system ships with a single auth domain; when a     user is created, the admin can specify the
domainin which the     user exists, otherwise it defaults to the default domain

Anyway, just thinking out loud -- that may or may not make any sense...

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>