Re: [GENERAL] 1 milion data insertion - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Albertson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] 1 milion data insertion
Date
List pgsql-sql

>     Ok, this was a test. I'd like to know what would be happen.
>     But, from you, great PostGres DBA's, what is the best way to
> insert a large number of data?
>     Is there a way to turn off the log?
>     Is there a way to commit each 100 records?

Yes, "COPY" actually does an append.  So just do what you
do now 10,000 times for 100 records.  It's a bit safer.
I've done 1M recod COPYsmany times on a low-end PC, no trouble

Put the log file someplace with more room.  You should be able to
run for a month without worrying about log files over filling

Logging is controled likely from the startup script.  Maybe in
/etc/rc.d  details depend on your OS.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278@yahoo.com