Re: Security, IP and username restrictions - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Security, IP and username restrictions
Date
List pgsql-novice
Tuomas,

> I have a situation where same user accessing the database from different
> locations (IP addresses) must have different user rights. This means, that
> same user in different locations would see different ammount of data. I know
> I can build this easily to the web based front-end, but I´d like to make the
> restriction in Postgres too.

This is not currently implemented in Postgres.   Currently, pg_hba.conf
restricts IP address access, and user rights in the database define
individual table access.  These two security mechanisms do not interact.

As such, you will need to use a custom solution in either your front-end code,
or by using the PostgreSQL RULEs system to restrict access.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions