Re: lock listing - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: lock listing
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 05:15:43PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway) writes:
> >
> > > As am I, and I agree that the proper long-term answer is some new
> > > infrastructure for adding builtin SRFs. However, I don't think that's
> > > a really good reason for rejecting the patch --
> >
> > I'm not wanting to reject the patch; I'm wanting to restructure it as
> > additions to lmgr.c plus a contrib module that includes the API function
> > and perhaps some sample views.  The contrib module's install script
> > could avoid these pesky problems because it can just CREATE a dummy
> > table or view and then CREATE the function.  Once we have a better
> > answer about declaring built-in SRFs, we can migrate the code into the
> > core.
>
> Personally, that doesn't strike me as a lot cleaner than just putting
> the code into the core in the first place. Since the changes to adapt
> the SRF to a new composite type scheme would be trivial (less than
> 20 lines of changes, probably less), I'd personally vote to include it
> in the core, and put up with a little bit of ugliness in initdb until
> we get a proper solution.

Agreed.  We are not running a beauty context here.  It is a TODO item
and users want it.  Get it to into the core and fix it when the SRF API
improves.

I agree with Peter that it is better to rename it pg_lock*.  The show
isn't needed and it makes it look more like our other system info
tables.  Please resubmit your patch.  Thanks.