about Inheritance... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From frederik nietzsche
Subject about Inheritance...
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi all,
I'm still in trouble with inheritance.
Now I've created some triggers and rules for realize
something
similiar to an inheritance... I MUST do myself all the
check
for integrity, it seems the only way.
But because psql executes a function in a transaction
it was
not so bad...
In practice, if you insert some datas in a child
table, YOU must
insert it also in the father table, resulting in
having two identical
data in the father table. if you don't do that, and
you insert
only in the child table, you can see the data in the
father,
but if you SELECT from it, seems it's not there...

I hope it is intelligible.
Any of you have ever dealt with such a thing??
I'd like to hear someother's solutions, if any.

I've also a question,
Is there any sql statement for identify, knowing it's
key value,
where is (in which child table) a record in the father
table??
I have the key of a record in the father, and I want
to know in
which child table is the real information

ok bye and thaks all...
danilo

Scarica il nuovo Yahoo! Messenger: con webcam, nuove faccine e tante altre novità.
http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.messenger.yahoo.com/