Re: [SQL] line datatype - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [SQL] line datatype
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen wrote:

> > > I don't understand why dumping the two point values isn't sufficient.
>
> > Which two point values? LINE is handled as an equation, not as points,
> > unlike the LSEG type which has two points.
>
> > One possibility is to have the external representation *be* the same as
> > LSEG, then convert internally. Then we need to decide how to scale those
> > points; maybe always using a unit vector is the right thing to do...
>
> Lines are entered now by specifying two points, anywhere on the line, right?
> The internal representation is then slope-intercept?  Why not allow either
> the 'two-point' entry, or direct entry as slope-intercept?  How do we
> represent lines now in output?  Do we pick two arbitrary points on the line?
> If so, I can see Thomas' point here, where the original data entry might have
> specified two relatively distant points -- but then there's a precision error
> anyway converting to slope-intercept, if indeed that is the internal
> representation.  So why not dump in slope-intercept form, if that is the
> internal representation?

Yow, I can see the pain of having slope/intercept and trying to output
two points.  What if we store line internally as two points, and convert
to slope/intercept when needed.  That way, it would dump out just as it
was entered.

Pennsylvania19026