Re: initdb failing: Invalid binary "/usr/bin/postgres"? - Mailing list pgsql-cygwin

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: initdb failing: Invalid binary "/usr/bin/postgres"?
Date
List pgsql-cygwin
Dave,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 07:57:26PM +0000, dbruzzone@attbi.com wrote:
> Here's the output after a fresh install (PostgreSQL 7.2.1-2):
>
> $ ls -l /usr/bin/postgres.exe
> -rwx------    1 Davide   None      2708992 Jun 10 06:13 /usr/bin/postgres.exe

The above is bad.

What is the output of the following command?

    $ ls -ld /usr/bin

My WAG is that you will get something like following:

    drwx------    2 Davide   None            0 Jul 11 09:16 /usr/bin

Am I correct?  If so, then your Cygwin setup is not correct.

Use the following to fix at least this aspect:

    $ chown 544 /usr/bin
    $ chmod 755 /usr/bin

Try re-installing PostgreSQL (again).  Does /usr/bin/postgres.exe
install with the appropriate permissions?

Thanks,
Jason