Re: Getting result set metadata without executing query? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Marc Ramirez
Subject Re: Getting result set metadata without executing query?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Marc Ramirez <mrami@mrami.homeunix.org> writes:
> > Is this possible with PostgreSQL?
>
> SELECT * FROM foo LIMIT 0
>
> works in recent releases, though I think not before 7.1 or so.
>
> You'd want to avoid anything that involves a SORT step, though,
> since it's not truly "not executing the query", just abandoning
> it as soon as the first output row has been generated internally.

Okay.  That's cool.  The reason I ask is that I have this little utility
for Sybase where you give it a query and it generates a C++ class with
getters named for the columns, yadda yadda.

Maybe if I get ambitious, I might think about adding the functionality. :)

Thanks alot,
Marc.

--
I telnetted to whitehouse.gov,
and all I got was this lousy .signature!