Re: Network Connection Problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Network Connection Problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
Joe,

> I am trying to setup a fresh install of Postgresql 7.2.1 on a fresh install
> of Debian Woody.  I am using the debian version of Postgresql.  I have
> enabled set tcpip_socket = 1 in the postgresql.conf file and verified the
> postmaster is running with the -i option.  I have also added the line
> host            all     192.168.100.34  255.255.255.0   trust
> to my pg_hba.conf file.  For good measure, I also restarted the server.  I
> have no problems connecting locally, but if I attempt to connect remotely, I
> get the error No pg_hba.conf entry for host 192.168.100.34, user postgres,
> database template1.  I have tried it with the netmask set to 255.255.255.255
> as well.

As of 7.2, after changing the pg_hba.conf file, you have to restart Postgres
to utilize the changes.   This is an annoying change of behavior which was
made to speed up connection creation (which it did).

--
-Josh Berkus

                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology     josh@agliodbs.com
    and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses      fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco