Re: Vacuum Daemon - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: Vacuum Daemon
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Saturday 29 June 2002 08:14 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> Launching VACUUMs on some automatic schedule, preferably using feedback
> about where space needs to be reclaimed, seems like a pretty
> straightforward small-matter-of-programming.  The thing that would
> really be needed to make it unobtrusive is to find a way to run the
> vacuum processing at low priority, or at least when the system is not
> heavily loaded.  I don't know a good way to do that.  Nice'ing the
> vacuum process won't work because of priority-inversion problems.
> Making it suspend itself when load gets high might do; but how to
> detect that in a reasonably portable fashion?

Are we sure we want it to be unobtrusive?  If vacuum is performed only where
and when it's needed, it might be better for overall throughput to have it
run even when the system is loaded.  Such as a constantly updated table.

As for a portable way to identify system load (if this is what we want) I was
thinking of looking at the load average (such as the one reported by the top
command) but I don't know much about portability issues.

Since there appears to be sufficient interest in some solution, I'll start
working on it.  I would like to hear a quick description of what
small-matter-of-programming means.  Do you have specific ideas about what how
best to get that feedback?

Matthew