Re: unlimited undo/journaling - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: unlimited undo/journaling
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 07:43:19AM +0200, Carl Meyer wrote:
> hello,
>
> i wondered how an unlimited undo feature would be realized in
> postgresql.
>
> example:
> there is an address book within my application and i want to log
> each change some user of my system is doing to an entry. but
> when he updates maybe the adress of a person i want to be able
> to restore each state which this address ever had as i don't trust
> the employees of my fictional company.
>
> so what i want is basically an unlimited undo or journalling feature
> for more or less every field.
>
> the idea should be to save the data-difference in some journalling
> table, but i'm not sure how this could be done properly. maybe
> somebody with some experience can help me here ?

What you're looking for seems similar to the time travel feature in the
contrib section. Even if you don't use exactly that, the same idea can be
used to keep track of every change ever made to a table.

Look for time travel in the docs also.