Re: How to run multi-processor question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Subject Re: How to run multi-processor question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 10:01:12AM -0400, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:
> Running Postgres 7.1.3 on RedHat Linux 7.2 kernel 2.4.7
> on an Intel box.
>
> We are thinking about upgrading the box and adding a
> second processor.  Provided that I can physically put
> a second CPU in, how can I configure Postgres to
> work with more than one proc, or better yet, submit jobs
> to the least busiest proc.  What other things should I
> be aware of?

Assuming your OS is SMP-capable, Postgres will automatically
take advantage of any additional CPUs you add (assuming
you're running multiple queries concurrently -- a single
query will run on a single CPU). Which CPU a particular
Postgres backend runs on is left up to the scheduler.

FYI, PostgreSQL 7.2 has significantly improved performance
when running on an SMP machine.

Cheers,

Neil

--