Re: Buffer Management - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Buffer Management
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Can we mmap WAL without problems?  Not sure if there is any gain to it
> > because we just write it and rarely read from it.
>
> Perhaps, but I don't see any point to it.

Agreed.  I have been poking around google looking for an article I read
months ago saying that mmap of files is slighly faster in low memory
usage situations, but much slower in high memory usage situations
because the kernel doesn't know as much about the file access in mmap as
it does with stdio.  I will find it.  :-)

Pennsylvania19026