Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Idea for the statistics collector
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> I was thinking of writing a command line tool like 'pgtune' that looks at
> the stats views and will generate SQL code for, or do automatically the
> following:
>
> * Dropping indices that are never used
> * Creating appropriate indices to avoid large, expensive sequential scans.
>
> This would put us in the 'mysql makes my indices for me by magic' league -
> but would be far more powerful and flexible.  How to do multikey indices is
> beyond me tho.

This is a great idea.  I have been wanting to do something like this
myself but probably won't get the time.

Does MySQL really make indexes by magic?

Also, I had to look up the contraction for "will not" because I always
get that confused (won't).  I just found a web page on it:
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mwont.html

Pennsylvania19026