Re: Highly obscure and erratic - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Varun Kacholia
Subject Re: Highly obscure and erratic
Date
List pgsql-general

> > hi,
> >  I cannot get what causes the difference in the execution of these 2 commands
> > 1. SELECT * FROM dbmedia WHERE ID IN ((SELECT id FROM wdmedia WHERE word = 'whatever') )  LIMIT 20;
> > 2. SELECT * FROM dbmedia WHERE ID IN (1234,2345,1242,1256,1245,1567,2222,22,345,234,567,456,35,56) ;
>
> The former is not very well optimized (see the FAQ for suggestions on
> using EXISTS instead).
 hi ,
  Had a look at that..
  but still it is toooo slow :(
  when is it intended to be fixed up??
  <excerpt below>
   Currently we join subqueries by sequentlialy scanning the result of the
   subquery for each row of the outer query.A workaround is to replace IN
   with EXISTS
   <snip>
   We hope to fix this in future release.
   <end excerpt>