pl/pgsql question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Sarmiento
Subject pl/pgsql question
Date
List pgsql-general
I am a newbie in pl/pgsql, and I have no experience in Oracle's pl/sql either.

I am trying to create a function that can return the full result of a select
to an application connected via ODBC.

I have used the following code:
_________________________________
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test(VARCHAR) RETURNS refcursor AS '

DECLARE
        cur refcursor;

BEGIN
        cur := ''new_cursor'';
        OPEN cur FOR EXECUTE ''SELECT * FROM test_table'';
        RETURN cur;

        END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
________________________________

then I do in psql console:

BEGIN;
select test(1);
fetch ALL from new_cursor;
close new_cursor;
END;

in that way I get the result I want, the problem is that using an ODBC
connection I can't get a "begin - end" sequence so I can do a FETCH ALL in
the middle of it.

Is there any way to create a function that returns the complete list without
needing to create a "begin -end" sequence and then use a FETCH ALL??

thanx for yar help!