Re: Can I adjust the oid counter for testing? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Can I adjust the oid counter for testing?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
> > I need to do some testing of pgAdmin on a database with very large oids
> > (> 4,000,000,000). Is there anyway I can wind the oid counter forward
> > without having to do a few billion inserts?
> > I'm on a test system so I can initdb if required.
>
> A clean solution would be to extend pg_resetxlog to have a switch to set
> nextOid, parallel to its switch to tweak nextXid.  (I had thought we had
> this already, actually, but I'm not seeing it in current sources.)

Yes, I thought we had that too, but I don't see it.

Actually, you can just use COPY WITH OIDS and insert a large oid.  That
will set the counter.  That's how pg_dump does it:CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE pgdump_oid (dummy integer);COPY pgdump_oid
WITHOIDS FROM stdin;143655  0\.

This method will only _increase_ the oid.

Pennsylvania19026