Re: Fw: (orig posted to usenet) Advice req for restricting entry values] - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Fw: (orig posted to usenet) Advice req for restricting entry values]
Date
List pgsql-novice
C. Masters,

> I'm attempting to design a database for use in a library (loan) setting.
> Although I'm a novice psql user, I have had previous experience in data
> mangement during the "good 'ol" text entry days.
>
> Several of the fields have a limited set of possible values; as such, I
> would like to automate the initial population and subsequent entry of new
> records -- fields such as 'media', 'genre', 'interest', etc. I'd like
> some input regarding the most effective way to accomplish this task.

The relational way to do this is with reference tables and a Foriegn Key
constraint.   Any good book on SQL database design will help you do this:

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/techdocs/bookreviews.php

--
-Josh Berkus