Re: read this and puke - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Seidman
Subject Re: read this and puke
Date
List pgsql-general
Graeme Merrall sez:
[...]
} Greatbridge [remember them? :)] had a great booth when I attended the
} O'Reilly Open Source conference last year. They has pretty much the same
} booth as mySQL and they had shirts/CD's etc. Bruce was even there :)

Isn't RedHat the primary commercial entity pushing PostgreSQL these days?
See http://www.redhat.com/software/database/

} The whole mySQL/pgsql debate bores me stupid, but let's not forget that
} mySQL is the *database*, the mySQL that has all the booths etc is 'mySQL
} AB' which is a *company*. The closest analog to the mySQL the company
} 'PostgreSQL Inc' but they merely offer commercial support etc.

Did anyone notice if RedHat was visibly pushing their database product, or
the PostgreSQL name?

} If you read the histtory of mySQL you'll know that mySQL was essentially
} a company first (TcX Datakonsult AB) while postgreSQL has essentiually
} remained in the academic/open source environment. Remember also that it
} wasn't that long ago the mySQL was GPL'ed. It's all in the history :)

What license is PostgreSQL, anyway? I never did find out when I was looking
for it.

} Cheers,
}  Graeme
--Greg