Re: "set nice" running a transaction in a lower priority? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: "set nice" running a transaction in a lower priority?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 12 Jun 2002 6:33 pm, Clark C . Evans wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to set transaction
> priority so that it takes its good sweet time and
> handles other queries quickly?

Not really - and it might be counter-productive to slow down the import. If
another transaction can't complete until the import is finished then
everything could end up delayed.

I guess you could nice the pid of the relevant backend process, but I'd be
inclined to batch the import into sections of 5000 records or so and sleep
for a second between batches.

- Richard Huxton