Re: Feature request: Truncate table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Billy O'Connor
Subject Re: Feature request: Truncate table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Deletion of data from a PostgreSQL table is very slow.
  It would be nice to have a very fast delete like "truncate table."
  Now, truncate is a very dangerous command because it is not logged (but  the same is true for other operations like
bulkcopy and select into).  So one needs to be careful how this command is granted.  The same damage  (accidental
deletionof all data) can be done by drop table just as  easily.

  I frequently have to do this right now in PostgreSQL, but I simply  emulate it by drop table/create table.

What is a TRUNCATE TABLE but a drop create anyway?  Is there some
technical difference?

--
Billy O'Connor