Re: Integrating libpqxx - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Integrating libpqxx
Date
Re: Integrating libpqxx  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:29:21 +0200
"Jeroen T. Vermeulen" <jtv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> I think libpqxx, the alternative to libpq++, is just about ready for
> prime time.

Great -- I like libpqxx a lot, and I'd like to see it in 7.3. We should
also probably keep libpq++ around for backward compatibility, but I
suppose we can stop distributing it eventually.

> That means integrating it with the main source tree, I
> suppose, but I have no idea where to start--particularly because libpqxx
> has its own configure setup.

I took a brief look at libpqxx's configure setup and ISTM that you won't
need to do a lot of work to integrate it into the PostgreSQL build system.
Users won't need to specify '--with-postgres' anymore, and the rest of the
configure options look pretty standard (gnu-ld, pic, etc.)

Is there a reason for keeping '--enable-postgres-dialect', when libpqxx
is distributed with PostgreSQL?

Otherwise, if you put the code into src/interfaces/libpqxx and modify
the PostgreSQL build system to be aware of it (as well as removing
libpqxx's autoconf stuff), it shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>