Re: Project scheduling issues (was Re: Per tuple overhead, - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Project scheduling issues (was Re: Per tuple overhead,
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Monday 10 June 2002 04:11 pm, Tom Lane wrote:
> > I think our develop mode/beta mode pattern has done a great deal to
> > contribute to the stability of our releases.  If we go over to the same
> > approach that everyone else uses, you can bet your last dollar that our
> > releases will be no better than everyone else's.
>
> I'll have to agree here -- but I also must remind people that our 'dot zero'
> releases are typically solid, but our 'dot one'  releases have not been so
> solid.  So I wouldn't be too confident in our existing model.
   If  that's  a  pattern, then we should discourage people from   using odd dot-releases.
   My opinion? With each release we ship  improvements  and  new   functionality  people  have  long  waited  for.
Think about   vacuum,  toast,  referential  integrity.  People  need  those   things  and  have  great  confidence  in
our releases.  The   willingness to upgrade their production systems to  dot  zero   releases is the biggest compliment
userscan make.

   Everything  that  endangers  that  quality  is  bad(tm).  Our   develop/beta mode pattern keeps people from diving
into the   next  bigger thing, distracting them from the current beta or   release candidate. I don't think that would
do us  a  really   good job.

Jan