Re: Per tuple overhead, cmin, cmax, OID - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Per tuple overhead, cmin, cmax, OID
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Yes, but there is a downside to this.  We have trouble enough figuring
> > out if a patch is a "feature" or "bug fix" during beta.  How are people
> > going to decide if a feature is "big" or not to work on during August?
> > It has a paralyzing effect on our developers.
>
> How is this any different then our other releases?  I think you've totally
> lost me as to where the problem is ... reading your above, you are
> suggesting that ppl don't work on big projects during the month of August,
> since it might not get in for the release?  We've never advocated that
> before, nor do I believe we should at this point ... in fact, I think its
> about time we start dealing with beta using the tools that we have
> available ...

In previous releases, we had this "it is too close to beta to add
feature X" mentality, and I see Tom reiterating that in his email.

It is the idea were are supposed to go into beta with a bug-free release
that bother me.  August is prime time for open-source development.  Many
countries have holidays, and business is slow, so people have time to
work projects.  Let's use that time to improve PostgreSQL, and leave
beta for fixing.

> Beta starts, we branch out a -STABLE vs -DEVELOPMENT branch in CVS ... we
> release a beta1 and deal with bug releases as they come in, followed by a
> beta2 until we are ready for release ... I think everyone is old enough
> now to be able to decide whatfixed have gone into -STABLE that should be
> reflected in -DEVELOPMENT, no?  Our mistake last release wasn't how long
> beta lasted, but how long we stalled development ...

Agreed.  Let's split sometime during beta as soon as we are ready to
work on 7.4. Sooner and we just double-patch for no purpose, later and
we stall development.

Pennsylvania19026