Re: Slow connection - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Slow connection
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 04:39:53PM +0200, Arthur wrote:

> I can outline the basic logic of the program, maybe you can pick
> something up. I query a table and process the rows. For each row an
> update statement is run that updates data in the processed row. I
> use a persistant connection for the updates, but I'm not keen to do
> transaction batches wtih commit/rollback, etc.

Are you quite sure you're not in a transaction?  Because given that
you're doing updates, and everyone else is apparently blocked, I'd
expect you're holding a lock on data they're trying to read.  Update
causes a very aggressive lock, for obvious reasons.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110