Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Lots of our code requires a unix shell and utilities.  Will we continue
> > using cygwin for this?
>
> We should probably get rid of using shell scripts for application programs
> altogether, for a number of reasons besides this one, such as the
> inability to properly handle input values with spaces, commas, etc. (we
> probably don't handle very long values either on some platforms), the
> inability to maintain open database connections so that createlang needs
> to prompt for the same password thrice, general portable scripting
> headaches, and the lack of internationalization facilities.
>
> I'd even volunteer to do this.  Comments?

I know I have discouraged it because I think shell script language has a
good toolset for those applications.  I have fixed all the spacing
issues.

What language where you thinking of using?  C?

Also, it seems Win32 doesn't need these scripts, except initdb.
PostgreSQLe didn't use the, it just did initdb, and the rest were done
using a GUI.  However, initdb would remain a problem.  PostgreSQLe wrote
its own.

Pennsylvania19026