Re: Insight into indexes? (or inverting then externally) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Insight into indexes? (or inverting then externally)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:07:37 -0500 (CDT)
"Joshua b. Jore" <josh@greentechnologist.org> wrote:
> So before I jump down this rabbit hole is there anything I can do to
> PostgreSQL to see what is in the indexes and if there is any way to tweak
> them?

Exactly what would you like to "tweak"? I'm not really sure what the
problem is...

> And when is a hash index preferrable to a btree index?

Never (if you know of a situation in which hash has a significant
advantage over btree, let me know -- I haven't been able to find one).
The current hash index code doesn't handle multiple columns, unique
indexes, tends to deadlock under heavy concurrent access, and is VERY
slow to create.

> Or that other index type that I don't remember the name of.

You're probably thinking of rtree, which is for non-scalar data (and
thus, isn't an option for you AFAICT).

Cheers,

Neil

--