Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Roadmap for a Win32 port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jason Tishler wrote:
> Dan,
>
> The following is to help keep the archives accurate and should not be
> construed as an argument against the native Win32 port.
>
> On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 10:02:14PM -0700, Dann Corbit wrote:
> > And Cygwin requires a license for commercial use.
> > http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
>
> The above is not necessarily true:
>
>     Red Hat sells a special Cygwin License for customers who are unable
>     to provide their application in open source code form.
>
> Note that the above only comes into play if your application links
> with the Cygwin DLL.  This is easily avoidable by using JDBC, ODBC,
> Win32 libpq, etc.  Hence, most people will not be required to purchase
> this license from Red Hat.

So apps written using client libraries are BSD, while server-side
changes would have to release source.  Makes sense, though we have never
had this distinction before.  I assume plpgsql stored procedures would
have be open source, but of course those are stored in plaintext on the
server so that isn't a problem.  If companies created custom C stored
procedures, those would have to be open source if using cygwin.

Pennsylvania19026