Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 09:36:51AM -0400, mlw wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:

> > > but! in the course of testing some code, I managed to gain some experience
> > > with cygwin. I have seen fork() problems with a large number of processes.
> >
> > Since Cygwin's fork() is implemented with WaitForMultipleObjects(),
> > it has a limitation of only 63 children per parent.  Also, there can
> > be DLL base address conflicts (causing Cygwin fork() to fail) that are
> > avoidable by rebasing the appropriate DLLs.  AFAICT, Cygwin PostgreSQL is
> > currently *not* affected by this issue where as other Cygwin applications
> > such as Python and Apache are.
>
> Why would not PostgreSQL be affected by this?

Sorry, if I was unclear -- I should have used two paragraphs above and
maybe a few more words... :,)

Cygwin PostgreSQL *is* affected by the Cygwin 63 children per parent
fork limitation.

PostgreSQL *can* be affected by the Cygwin DLL base address conflict
fork issue, but in my experience (both personal and by monitoring the
Cygwin and pgsql-cygwin lists), no one has been affected yet.  The DLL
base address conflict is a "probability" thing.  The more DLLs loaded
the greater the chance of a conflict (and fork() failing).  Since, Cygwin
PostgreSQL loads only a few DLLs, this has not become an issue (yet).

Jason