Re: WAL FILES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: WAL FILES
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Olivier PRENANT wrote:
> Hi every one.
>
> I just moved (at last!) to 7.2.1. Works like a charm...
> I'm suprised though by the number of WAL files.
>
> I have 8 files where postgresql.conf says WAL_FILES=4.
>
> What did I miss ? (I have no outstanding transaction)
>
> FWIW, t's on UW711.

No, you are fine.  The current GUC params are confusing. I did update
the documentation for 7.3, but I plan to reorganize those params to be
more meaningful.

Actually, I have in TODO:
 Remove wal_files postgresql.conf option because WAL files are now recycled

because the param no longer controls what you think it controls.  In 7.1
WAL files where not recycled, so WAL_FILES was used to pre-allocate
files so there wasn't as much happening during checkpoint.  Now, with
recycling, there is no need.

Pennsylvania19026