auto update dates - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Rory Campbell-Lange
Subject auto update dates
Date
Re: auto update dates  ("Joel Burton" <joel@joelburton.com>)
List pgsql-novice
Sorry - I seem to be bombarding the list. I AM reading my copy of Bruce
Momjian's book quite closely, I promise!

I'm trying to make a rule to automatically update the time, date and
timestamp 'modified' fields when a row is updated.

This is what I have tried:

    create rule ideas_insert_datetime_mod as on update to ideas
    do
        update ideas
        set d_modified = CURRENT_DATE,
        t_modified = CURRENT_TIME,
        ts_modified = CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

This creates a cycle condition, and the rule does not operate.

Do I instead need to write a function and then trigger it after each
update action? I have 3 tables each with similar columns, with the same
column names, which I wish to update in the same way.

Thanks for any help.
Rory
--
Rory Campbell-Lange