Re: data-type for image files - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: data-type for image files
Date
List pgsql-novice
Sibu,

> I  would like to know if there is a data type for  file such as image files.
> In otherwords is there a straignt forward  way to  place references to
> images-files in a postgres table.  I notice there is a network datatype
(cidr
> or inet).  If an image file is stored at host://someplace/image for example
> can  this 'address' be used   as a datatype  (i.e.  a   pointers in the
> table..... ?

Your basic options are these:
1. Use a BLOB datatype to store the images directly in the database.
2. Use filesystem pointers to store the image in a file, which is retrievable
through your interface code.

For a variety of reasons, I prefer 2.  However, the BLOB approach as strong
adherents.  See the Postgres docs for more info:
http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/largeobjects.html

-Josh Berkus