Re: Native Win32, How about this? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jason Tishler
Subject Re: Native Win32, How about this?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mlw,

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 05:25:02PM -0400, mlw wrote:
> A binary version of PostgreSQL for Windows should not use the cygwin
> dll. I know and understand there is some disagreement with this position,
> but in this I'm sure about this.

Sorry, but I'm not going to touch the above -- even with a ten foot pole.
Or, at least try not to... :,)

> I believe we can use the cygwin development environment, and direct gcc
> not to link with the cygwin dll. Last time I looked it was a command line
> option. This will produce a native windows application. No emulation,
> just a standard C runtime.

Yes, the above mentioned option is "-mno-cygwin".

> Some of the hits will be file path manipulation, '/' vs '\', the notion of
> drive letters, and case insensitivity in file names.

Case insensitivity is typically "enabled" regardless.  Unless you are
referring to CYGWIN=check_case:strict, but almost no one uses this setting.

Just to be explicit, another hit will be the loss of Posix.

> [snip]
>
> I think a huge time savings can be had by avoiding rewriting everything
> for the Microsoft build environment.

Yes, you should use Cygwin and gcc -mno-cygwin or MSYS and Mingw.

> As far as I know, and please correct me if I'm wrong, code produced by
> the cygwin gcc is freely distributable and need not be GPL.

The above is true only with gcc -mno-cygwin or Mingw code.  Any code
produced by the normal Cygwin gcc (and hence, linked against cygwin1.dll)
is effectively GPL'd or at least required to be open source.

> [snip]

Jason