Re: How much work is a native Windows application? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: How much work is a native Windows application?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mlw wrote:
> I think, and I know people are probably sick of me spouting opinions, that if
> you want a Windows presence for PostgreSQL, then we should write a real Win32
> version.
>
> If the global/static variables which are initialized by the postmaster are
> moved to a structure, we can should be able to remove the fork() requirement
> and port to a Win32 native system.
   My  opinion  here is that until May 1998 Postgres did exec(),   so it was clean and okay for CreateProcess() up to
then.Just   because  we  optimized  it  for  the copy-on-write behaviour,   modern Unix kernels do with fork()  only,
is NO  reason  to   accept  sloppy  coding.  The  Postmaster and the backend have   different responsibilities. In
fact,I  still  consider  them   beeing   different  programs  even  if  they  reside  in  one   executable. Mixing
globalvariables of one with the other  is   wrong.

Jan