Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Igor Kovalenko" <Igor.Kovalenko@motorola.com> writes:
> > I was talking about named pipe vs UDS socket...
>
> Aren't those the same thing?  You get a socket file either way.
   No  they  are  not.  The  former is a FIFO file, the latter a   socket.   FIFO's  can  be  used  via  open(2),
sockets  via   connect(2).   And as said before, FIFO's are there since UNIX   Version 7 (at least, I haven't been
aroundbefore  that).  So   there  is  a  good  chance  that these are available on every   UNIX.

Jan