Re: OK, lets talk portability. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: OK, lets talk portability.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 May 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 15:31, Tom Lane wrote:
> > mlw <markw@mohawksoft.com> writes:
> > > In the current CVS directory, there is pgsql/src/backend/port directory.
> >
> > > I propose that this become a separate subproject and library.
> >
> > Right offhand, that seems a pointless exercise in relabeling code that's
> > going to be the same either way.  What's the actual value?
> >
> > > The reason I want this is because the semaphore support, specifically
> > > multiple semaphores identified by a single key, has to be implemented
> > > with shared memory and multiple semaphores. (Under Windows)
> >
> > I think you are confusing issues that are now private to the SysV sema
> > implementation with things that you really need to do for Windows.
> > Take a look at port/posix_sema.c for a less cluttered view of the
> > semantics you actually need to support.  (I don't suppose there's any
> > chance that Gates & Co support POSIX semas, leaving you with no work?)
>
> A quick google search acme up with
>
>  http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/announcement.html

Damn ... doesn't implement fork(), but does implement semaphores :)
Sooooo close :)

 Semaphores     ---------------------------     sem_init     sem_destroy     sem_post     sem_wait     sem_trywait
sem_timedwait    sem_open               (returns an error ENOSYS)     sem_close              (returns an error ENOSYS)
  sem_unlink             (returns an error ENOSYS)