Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 5 May 2002, Joel Burton wrote:

> > > Would this have the benefit of allow PostgreSQL to work properly in BSD
> > > jails, since lack of really working SysV IPC was the problem there?
> >
> > Was the problem just with semas, or was shmem an issue too?
>
> Not sure -- doesn't get far enough for me to tell. initdb dies with:
>
> creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1...
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed:
> Function not implemented

Read the jail manpage:
    jail.sysvipc_allowed         This MIB entry determines whether or not processes within a jail         have access
toSystem V IPC primitives.  In the current jail imple-         mentation, System V primitives share a single namespace
acrossthe         host and jail environments, meaning that processes within a jail         would be able to communicate
with(and potentially interfere with)         processes outside of the jail, and in other jails.  As such, this
functionalityis disabled by default, but can be enabled by setting         this MIB entry to 1.