set constraints behavior - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject set constraints behavior
Date
Re: set constraints behavior  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

The SQL92 spec has this to say about SET CONSTRAINTS DEFERRED:
   a) If ALL is specified, then the constraint mode in TXN of all      constraints that are DEFERRABLE is set to
deferred.
   b) Otherwise, the constraint mode in TXN for the constraints      identified by the <constraint name>s in the
<constraintname      list> is set to deferred.

(section 14.2, page 401)

My reading of this: if you specify ALL, only the constraints marked
as DEFERRABLE are affected. If you specify a specific constraint,
it is deferred, whether the constraint is marked as DEFERRABLE or
not.

Current Postgres behavior is incompatible with this interpretation:

nconway=> create table pk (id serial primary key);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence 'pk_id_seq' for SERIAL column 'pk.id'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'pk_pkey' for table 'pk'
CREATE
nconway=> create table fk (pk_ref int constraint my_constraint references pk);
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
CREATE
nconway=> begin;
BEGIN
nconway=> set constraints my_constraint deferred;
ERROR:  Constraint 'my_constraint' is not deferrable

Second question: SQL92 also specifies this for SET CONSTRAINTS --
   1) If an SQL-transaction is currently active, then let TXN be the      currently active SQL-transaction. Otherwise,
letTXN be the next      SQL-transaction for the SQL-agent.

(section 14.2, page 400)

In PostgreSQL, SET CONSTRAINTS only affects the current
transaction. Is it possible to make this more compliant?
If not, it should be noted in the docs for SET CONSTRAINTS.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>