Re: PostgreSQL mission statement? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2 May 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 14:37, Jim Mercer wrote:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:15:15AM -0400, mlw wrote:
> > > Who's that? Anyone disagree?
> >
> > why does it have to be THE BEST ?  that is insulting to the other projects
> > like MySQL which while "competitors" are also a valid and useful benchmark
> > for features, performance and keeping the postgresql community on its
> > collective toes.
> >
> > postgresql is not THE BEST in all applications, so calling it that is inviting
> > derision and pointless arguments.
> >

> The Politically Correct mission statement follows:
>
> The PostgreSQL community is committed to creating and maintaining a good
> but not the best, mostly reliable, open-source multi-purpose standards

Okay, so there now has to be someone always better then us, since we don't
want to be the best? *confused look*

> BTW, I think PostgreSQL does _not_ need any mission statement.

Nope, it doesn't ... never did before, don't know why it does suddenly ...
do any other open source projects have one?  Its kinda fun to see what ppl
banter around, but I can't see it being useful to adopt any single one,
considering I can't see *everyone* agreeing with it ...