Re: PostgreSQL mission statement? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hannu Krosing
Subject Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date
Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 14:37, Jim Mercer wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:15:15AM -0400, mlw wrote:
> > Who's that? Anyone disagree?
>
> why does it have to be THE BEST ?  that is insulting to the other projects
> like MySQL which while "competitors" are also a valid and useful benchmark
> for features, performance and keeping the postgresql community on its
> collective toes.
>
> postgresql is not THE BEST in all applications, so calling it that is inviting
> derision and pointless arguments.

The Politically Correct mission statement follows:

The PostgreSQL community is committed to creating and maintaining a good
but not the best, mostly reliable, open-source multi-purpose standards
based database, and with it, promote free and open source software and
other worthy causes world wide and to not hurting anyones feelings in doing so.
We are also committed to not cheating our SOs, not charging too much for
our services nor eating too much and to recommending products of our
commercial competitors before ours in order to help them fullfil their
obligations to their stockholders.

I was hoping to fit in something about being a good
Christian/Muslim/Atheist but was unable to do it in an universally
acceptable way.
There may be other points that are not valid everywhere though.

BTW, I think PostgreSQL does _not_ need any mission statement.

Hannu