Re: PostgreSQL mission statement? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Mercer
Subject Re: PostgreSQL mission statement?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:15:15AM -0400, mlw wrote:
> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > Le Jeudi 2 Mai 2002 01:59, David Terrell a écrit :
> > > "Provide a really good database and have fun doing it"
> >
> > PostgreSQL Community is commited to providing Humanity with the best
> > multi-purpose, reliable, open-source and free database system.
>

> The PostgreSQL community is committed to creating and maintaining the best,
> most reliable, open-source multi-purpose standards based database, and with
> it, promote free and open source software world wide.
>
> Who's that? Anyone disagree?

why does it have to be THE BEST ?  that is insulting to the other projects
like MySQL which while "competitors" are also a valid and useful benchmark
for features, performance and keeping the postgresql community on its
collective toes.

postgresql is not THE BEST in all applications, so calling it that is inviting
derision and pointless arguments.

i'd go with:

The PostgreSQL community is committed to creating and maintaining a very
reliable, open-source, multi-purpose, standards-based database, and
encouraging participation in open-source usage and development world wide.

--
[ Jim Mercer        jim@reptiles.org         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          I want to live forever, or die trying.            ]