Re: updated qCache - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: updated qCache
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:17:51PM -0400, Neil Conway wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's an updated version of the experimental qCache patch I
> posted a couple days ago (which is a port of Karel Zak's 7.0
> work to CVS HEAD).
>
> Changes:
>
> - fix segfault in EXECUTE under some circumstances (reported
>   by Barry Lind)
> - fix some memory leaks  (thanks to Karel Zak)
> - write more regression tests (make check still won't pass)
> - re-diff against CVS HEAD
> - more code cleanup, minor tweaks
>
> However, I've tentatively decided that I think the best
> way to go forward is to rewrite this code. IMHO the utility of
> plans cached in shared memory is fairly limited, but the
> code that implements this adds a lot of complex to the patch.
> I'm planning to re-implement PREPARE/EXECUTE with support only
> for locally-prepared plans, using the existing patch as a
> guide. The result should be a simpler patch -- once it's
> in CVS we can worry about more advanced plan caching
> techiques. Any complaints/comments on this plan?
I agree too :-) I think remove the shared memory code from this patchis easy and local memory storage is there already
done.
       Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz