Re: Insert Unicode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Michel POURE
Subject Re: Insert Unicode
Date
List pgsql-general
Le Mardi 16 Avril 2002 08:23, Anthony a écrit :
> I have created a UNICODE database using the 7.2.1. But I am not sure how to
> prepare an insert script to insert double byte unicode data (e.g. Chinese)
> to the tables. I tried to run the script under PGAdminII and also psql
> directly but always encounter problem say invalid UNICODe. Any escape
> character required?

Dear Anthony,

pgAdmin2 is not multi-byte safe due to Visual Basic limitations.

On the converse, it is possible to use pgAdmin2 to design and manage a Unicode
database, provided that you automatically recode data client-side to a
supported charset (Latin9 for example as it support the euro symbol). Just
enter SET CLIENT_ENCODING = 'Latin9' in pgAdmin2 query editor.

To view Unicode data under Windows, the only solution is to :
- download and install the latest ODBC multi-byte driver from
http://odbc.postgresql.org
- use a unicode compliant application (ex : M$ Access2K).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel