Re: Where to get official SQL spec (was Re: Domain Support) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Where to get official SQL spec (was Re: Domain Support)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have updated the developer's FAQ with this information:

1.12) Where can I get a copy of the SQL standards?

There are two pertinent standards, SQL92 and SQL99. These standards are
endorsed by ANSI and ISO. A draft of the SQL92 standard is available at
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/. The SQL99 standard must be
purchased from ANSI at
http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp. The main standards
documents are ANSI X3.135-1992 for SQL92 and ANSI/ISO/IEC 9075-2-1999
for SQL99.

A summary of these standards is at
http://dbs.uni-leipzig.de/en/lokal/standards.pdf and
http://db.konkuk.ac.kr/present/SQL3.pdf.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Rod Taylor" <rbt@zort.ca> writes:
> > I've not found a cheap resource for the real one.  Ie. priced suitably
> > to fit a hobby project :)
>
> Try ANSI's electronic standards store: they'll sell you PDFs of ANSI's
> printing of the spec at a reasonable price.
>
> http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/default.asp
>
> Go to the "search" page and enter "9075" (the IS number for SQL).
> Along with the overpriced ISO offerings, there are:
>
> ANSI X3.135-1992        SQL92
>
> ANSI/ISO/IEC 9075-n-1999    SQL99, parts 1-5
>
> Each of these is $18 US.  You don't really need all five parts of
> SQL99; I've seldom found any use for anything but part 2.  It is
> worth having SQL92, mainly because it's so much more readable
> than the 99 spec :-(
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19026