Re: [SQL] 16 parameter limit - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [SQL] 16 parameter limit
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway wrote:

> > > If you want to increase it, let's just increase it and not add any more
> > > configure options.  If someone wants more than 32 then we really need to
> > > start talking about design issues.
> >
> > Why not give them the configure option?  It's not good HCI to impose
> > arbitrary limits on people...?
>
> It's not an arbitrary limit -- users can easily change pg_config.h.

Let me just point out that you have to change pg_config.h.in and run
configure _or_ change pg_config.h and _never_ run configure again.  It
is this complexity that makes a configure option look acceptable.

Maybe we should pull some of the hard-coded, non-configure stuff from
pg_config.h into a separate file and just include it from pg_config.h.

> > We can default it to 32, since there's demand for it.  If a particular user
> > decided to configure it higher, then they do that knowing that it may cause
> > performance degradation.  It's good to give them that choice though.
>
> What if someone actually uses functions with more than 32
> arguments? Their code will not longer be portable among
> PostgreSQL installations, and they'll need to get the local
> admin to recompile.

It is usually C++ overloading functions that use lots of args, or
functions that pass every table column into the function.  In those
cases, I can easily see 32 params.