Re: ANSI Compliant Inserts - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: ANSI Compliant Inserts
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> >> In general I'm suspicious of rejecting cases we used to accept for
> >> no good reason other than that it's not in the spec.  There is a LOT
> >> of Postgres behavior that's not in the spec.
>
> > TODO has:
> >     o Disallow missing columns in INSERT ... VALUES, per ANSI
>
> Where's the discussion that's the basis of that entry?  I don't recall
> any existing consensus on this (though maybe I forgot).

I assume someone (Peter?) looked it up and reported that our current
behavior was incorrect and not compliant.  I didn't do the research in
whether it was compliant.

> There are a fair number of things in the TODO list that you put there
> because you liked 'em, but that doesn't mean everyone else agrees.
> I certainly will not accept "once it's on the TODO list it cannot be
> questioned"...

I put it there because I didn't think there was any question.  If I was
wrong, I can add a question mark to it.

Do you want to argue we should continue allowing it?  Also, what about
missing trailling columns in COPY?

If we continue allowing missing INSERT columns, I am not sure we can
claim it is an extension or whether the standard requires the query to
fail.