Re: help with bison - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: help with bison
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:02:49 +1000 (EST)
"Gavin Sherry" <swm@linuxworld.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Neil Conway wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working on a fairly large patch (cleaning up Karel Zak's
> > PREPARE/EXECUTE work), and I'm having some problems with bison (I'm
> > a yacc newbie). In fact, my grammar currently has an obscene
> > 20 shift/reduce and 4 reduce/reduce conflicts!
>
> Your first set of problems is coming from PrepareStmt:
> [...]

> Your second problem is in ExecuteStmt:
> [...]

Great, thanks Gavin! (I owe you a beer!)

I re-arranged PrepareStmt as you suggested, as well as
ExecuteStmt, and the conflicts have disappeared. I'm not sure
if the new syntax is ideal, but I'm happy to leave it as it is
until I've got the patch mostly working. I'd welcome any
suggestions for improvements to the syntax that still allow
for sane parsing.

Thanks again,

Neil

--