Re: RFC: Restructuring pg_aggregate - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: RFC: Restructuring pg_aggregate
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > > Why ? As you already mentioned, there were not that many places
> > > to be changed.
> > >
> > > Well what's changed since then ?
> >
> > Here is an old email from me that outlines the idea of having a
> > physical/logical attribute numbering system, and the advantages.
>
> I already tried physical/logical attribute implementation
> pretty long ago. Where are new ideas to solve the problems
> that the approach has ?

Good question.  I am suggesting more than just the drop column fix.  It
could be used for smaller data files to reduce padding, fix for
inheritance problems with ADD COLUMN, and performance of moving
varlena's to the end of the row.

Also, my idea was to have the physical/logical mapping happen closer to
the client, so the backend mostly only deals with physical.  I was
thinking of having the libpq backend communication layer actually do the
reordering of the return results.

Pennsylvania19026