Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> > > ??? What do you mean by
> > >    o  Some SETs are honored in an aborted transaction (current)
> > > ?
> > > Is the current state different from
> > >      o  All SETs are honored in an aborted transaction
> > > ?
> >
> > In the case of:
> >
> >         BEGIN WORK;
> >         SET x=1;
> >         bad query that aborts transaction;
> >         SET x=2;
> >         COMMIT WORK;
> >
> > Only the first SET is done, so at the end, x = 1.  If all SET's were
> > honored, x = 2. If no SETs in an aborted transaction were honored, x
> > would equal whatever it was before the BEGIN WORK above.
>
> IMHO
>       o  No SETs are honored in an aborted transaction(current)
>
> The first SET isn't done in an aborted transaction.

Well, yes, when I say aborted transaction, I mean the entire
transaction, not just the part after the abort happens.  All non-SET
commands in the transaction are rolled back already.  I can't think of a
good argument for our current behavior.

Pennsylvania19026